John Setka (centre) quit the CFMEU before the publication of a story detailing bikie and underworld infiltration of construction sites.Credit:Michael Quelch
Setka resigned as secretary of the Victorian and Tasmanian branch of the CFMEU in July following questions sent to his office byThe Age,Sydney Morning Herald,The Australian Financial Review and60 minutes at the start of its Building Bad investigation into alleged corruption,standover tactics and links to organised crime.
Every branch in the country was placed into administration on Friday after the Commonwealth,responding to the investigation,secured the passage of legislation that would allow a takeover of the union for up to three years.
But Setka said on Channel Seven that he had been told on the day of his resignation that the union would be “left alone” and not put under administration if he departed.
He said he had made the initial offer,which was passed on to CFMEU national secretary Zach Smith,with conversations allegedly taking place with Burke and “I assume[ACTU secretary] Sally McManus”.
John Setka appeared on Spotlight alleging a deal was put in place with Tony Burke.
“At 20 to six the call came through,yes there’s a deal,” Setka said.
The former union boss also alleged that Burke had told others there would be “no surprises”,but said this message was not made directly to him.