Gaza has been left devastated by the Israeli bombardment.Credit:Bloomberg
An Israeli official,speaking on condition of anonymity in line with regulations,said the decision to suspend aid was made in co-ordination with the Trump administration.
Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu’s office said earlier on Sunday that it supported what it described as a proposal from Trump’s Middle East envoy,Steve Witkoff,to extend the first phase of the ceasefire through Ramadan and Passover,which end on April 20.
Under that proposal,Hamas would release half the hostages on the first day and the rest if an agreement were reached on a permanent ceasefire,according to Netanyahu’s office.
Loading
There was no immediate comment from the United States,Egypt or Qatar,which have been mediating between Israel and Hamas for over a year.
Under the first,six-week phase of the ceasefire,Hamas released 25 Israeli hostages and the bodies of eight others in exchange for the release of nearly 2000 Palestinians imprisoned by Israel. Israeli forces pulled back from most of Gaza and Israel allowed a surge of humanitarian aid to enter.